This is the most common question I receive when I tell people I am one of two faculty members that resides on NDSU’s campus. Yes, it must be hard to believe that a well compensated junior faculty member would choose to do such a thing. The truth is I even competed for the honor to be NDSU’s only faculty resident, as part of the NDSU Faculty In Residence Education Program (FIRE), which also includes Faculty Fellows, Mentors, and Greeters.
Advertizing works! I was drawn to apply for this program because I was given a beautiful brochure that highlighted this as the “FIRE” program and those who know me are very familiar about my obsession with the process of combustion (I conduct research on fire behavior and fire ecology)! I was also drawn to the program because I thought it would be a wonderful way for me to feel more connected to NDSU students and the NDSU community as a whole
At the end of the day I can maintain some level of street credibility because I don’t actually live in a “dorm”. I live in a beautiful apartment within the Living Learning Residence Hall, which is a well constructed, apartment style residence hall that houses students 20 and older. Cinder blocks do not exist in this residence hall and it is the quietest place I have lived.
In my faculty resident position I work with students and staff affiliated with NDSU Residence Life to provide an atmosphere and opportunities for students to develop professionally and personally while living on campus. Additional benefits I enjoy include having one of the shortest work commutes, free laundry, and I don’t have to shovel snow during our long Fargo winters! Oh yeah, the only other faculty member who lives on campus is the President.
Amy,
ReplyDeleteYou DO live in a fabulous place! And it's just you & the pres...
You rock
ReplyDelete